Friday, February 13, 2009

It's Almost Valentines Day

Valentines Day.....my favorite time of year (no really this is my absolute FAVORITE TIME of year). I know this may sound crazy but I LOVE to see red, pink, and white everywhere ...Target....Wal Mart...Bi-Lo (our local grocery store)....I just love it...I always have. It puts me back in time when I was little....valentine boxes to take to school that we Billmans were not so crafty at (my box never won a prize) but it was so much fun to make (it usually was a family effort)... and picking the absolute right valentines to take to school the next day (this was important stuff)...I always aimed for the most unique that I thought no one else would get duplicates of (this of course never happened...Wal-Mart just doesn't have that kind of variety ok...) and knowing that I was always going to get a little red bag of some sort with STUFF in it.....I LOVED IT!!!!!! It didn't really matter what was in that little red bag with hearts all over it.....it was just the fact that there was something "Valentines" in there and really sappy sweet card from my parents that I would keep propped up on my dresser for like a month after Valentines Day (follow along....you know what I'm talking about....because you did it too!) I remember that my brother and I simply could not wait to see what cards my Mom and Dad got for one another .....because we always knew there would be a big Pop Up in the middle ....and of course there always was (this was sort of a tradition between the two of them). True....there are many that say "Valentines is just a holiday that is a SCAM and over priced that was made up a long time ago to get people to buy things....its a materialistic holiday." ....as you can probably guess I couldn't disagree more!!!!!!! I love watching people get balloons and roses and singing grams and all of that stuff... and watching their face light up when they get them.....don't you? And then after you get home from school you would get out that little box that you crammed all of your valentines into and you would go through them (like a million times)...and take all the little suckers off of the ones that had them and just go through card after card after card after card. I love Valentines Day!!!!! It was not until I met my husband that I found out that not everyone makes a big deal out of Valentines Day like some of us do....as you can imagine this totally sent me into a state of shock (I couldn't believe it).....but his family growing up when he was young really just didn't make a big deal over Valentines.....so since of course he has met me and now married me.....this is ALWAYS a tradition...and we will ALWAYS give something to one another in appreciation and out of LOVE......I try to look for the perfect card every year for this holiday and have been known to spend an hour in front of that long stock of cards just reading and thinking and thinking and thinking. until finally I find the one I'm looking for. I hope you have a wonderful Valentines Day!!! XOXOXOX .....and all that lovey dovey stuff I love!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I want to say "Happy Valentines Day" to my sweet, sweet daughter and her beautiful family. You are your mother's daughter in so many ways (even though you may not want to admit it).
    I love all of you and hope you have a wonderful Valentines Day. May you get many reds, pinks, and whites today.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete